I Would Like To Go Back To My Maiden Name After A Divorce. How Do I Go About This?


6 Answers

Moe Pence Profile
Moe Pence answered
Most states will allow you to sign a paper before the divorce or dissolution of a marriage is finalized, to allow you to go back to using your maiden name.  If you are retaining an attorney, they would know what paper you would need to fill out and sign.  If you still need to find out more, a call to your local County Clerk's Office will give you the information you need to find out how to go about changing back to your maiden name again. In the state I live in, you are allowed to resume using your maiden name at no charge, but a name change to one you pick out is $300 extra. 
I wish you well, and hope you find the information you need from these suggestions.
thanked the writer.
View all 4 Comments
Moe Pence
Moe Pence commented
Unfortunately, I "been there,done that", but kept my married name of 24 yrs for the sake of my still single children at the time. But -- assessing my life now -- yeah --definitely a smart cookie to have gotten out of that marriage when I did!
Anonymous commented
Thanks Moe...Called County Clerk..got all answers!
Moe Pence
Moe Pence commented
So glad to have helped you out, Wahhapnd -- I wish you all the best.
Shalin Choksi Profile
Shalin Choksi answered
You can lawfully change your name back to your maiden name quite easily. In case you have been divorced and do not want to continue your married name, you can always have your name changed. This involves some procedure to do with the court sand it would be better if you hired a lawyer. The lawyer would take care of everything and you would just have to sign some papers. You will also need to be present in the court in front of a judge. These are just a couple of formalities you would have to go through. In a few weeks' time, your name will be changed back to your maiden name.
Nick Smart Profile
Nick Smart answered
You can get the legal forms you need to file for a legal name change at [ LegalFormsBank.Biz ]. The individual forms are easy to fill out. You just open them and enter the information where there is text boxes that allow you to type. Or you can order a name change kit from there that's specific for the state you live in. It comes with all the legal forms you need along with a hand book that will guide you through out the entire procedure.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Just divorced on April 21, 2010.  Need to lose my married name.
Nick Smart Profile
Nick Smart answered
There are name change kits that include everything you need to legally change your name. You can learn more at [ LegalFormsBank.biz ].
Moo C. Profile
Moo C. answered
If you are currently a resident of one of NY (each state/coutry has a different way)here are the name change requirements you need
  1. If born in the State of New York, original or certified copy of Birth Certificate
  2. Self-Addressed/Stamped Envelope
  3. Original and copy of Name Change Order & Petition
  4. Request for Judicial Intervention form in triplicate (Original & 2 copies) - no fee necessary
  5. Index Number Fee of $210.00 made payable to your county's County Clerk
  6. Notice: Civil Rights Law Sec. 62
    If the petition be to change the name of an infant, notice of the time and place when and where the petition will be presented must be served, in like manner as a notice of motion upon an attorney in an action, upon (a) both parents of the infant, if they be living, unless the petition be made by one of the parents, in which case notice must be served upon the other, if he or she be living, and (b) the general guardian or guardian of the person, if there be one. But if any of the persons, required to be given notice by this section, reside without the state, then the notice required by this section must be sent by registered mail to the last known address of the person to be served. If it appears to the satisfaction of the court that a person required to be given notice by this section cannot be located with due diligence within the state, and that such person has no known address without the state, then the court may dispense with notice or require notice to be given to such persons and in such manner as the court thinks proper.

Answer Question