How Do I Qualify For Legal Aid?


3 Answers

Robert Perez Profile
Robert Perez answered
We are seniors, need to sue and do not know what type of court or a low cost attorney. Son in-law signed a note stating he was responsible for 3 accounts which we ended paying off in 1999. Another loan with Household Finance for $29,217.00, we co-signed for a car loan and bal is $23, 054.41, and now is 2 months in the rears (we also have a signed note by Mark Zavala)

And have made many attempts to collect and nothing can be done. Last August 2006, we lent him $2,500.00 and again he signed a note to pay $200.00 per month. We have only being paid $600.00. We live on my husbands retirement and do not have any other means. Our credit is ruined by our son-in-law being delinquent, and he shows no interest in paying us back. He has a full time job in Santa Barbara as a full time employee for Mar Borg Industries, works under the table for a friend in the evening. We need to see if there is a way to garnish his wages, otherwise we will never be paid.

We will now have a lein on our home because of the $23,254.41 owed. We do not have monies but if you could refer us to a lawyer who could help us we sure would appreciate it. Again, we do have signed notes of Mark Anthony Zavala stating he is responsible for all the loans that he asked us for. All these transactions took place in Oxnard, Ca. but we now live in Banning, Ca.
chris e Profile
chris e answered
Legal Aid involves providing individuals facing a court case with legal advice and counsel if they are unable to pay for their own. Although it does not usually extend to actually providing a lawyer for a case, in some cases other organizations can set this up, while lawyers can work pro bono if they feel that the case merits it. In most cases though legal aid will include advice and mediation, often through solicitors and other agencies. Different kinds of legal aid is common practice in the West, with many practices set up and supported by the government, with the Legal Services Commission in England and Wales as the main service, although they do not handle libel. You would be eligible for legal aid if you can prove that the costs of your case outweigh your resources, while certain cases can fall within different legal schemes set up specifically for them, e.g. family mediation or child disputes. If you have capital of over �8000 in England and Wales you would be expected to pay your own legal costs, while those receiving income support or a pension may in many cases also be expected to cover their payments.

Answer Question