In WA State, How Do I Evict A Family Member Who Isn't Paying Rent, And Hasn't Been For Years?


7 Answers

Roland Jimenez Profile
Roland Jimenez answered
Dealing with family members is never a good idea because for one, You will awlways end up being the bad person. Seconed, Family members always seem to take afvantage of you.
If you have already asked her to leave and it's been years, You need to contact the sherif's department and request assistance to vacate a person for trasspassing since this is your property and they are not paying, therefore they no longer hsave a right to stay on your property. You must be willing to file charges on them if they do not leave. You can not be weak in anyway otherwise you will never regain your property and will never receive any money from them. At any point, you must decide that you are going to make necessary repairs and renovate so you can rent it to paying  tennants. It is helpful if you have someone willing to rent from you to give you that motivation to evict and proceede to recover your loses.
You don't have to give them 30 days if you have not recieved any money from them for years. You can chock that up as a learning experience and go on. You can file charges in a Civil Court to regain losse for no payments and having to repair your unit in which I can preatymuch garauntee you you will have plenty! As far as being your family, this should play no part in being a Landlord trying to regain your rpoperty. All POWER to You!!!
nettie Profile
nettie answered
You can write her a letter asking her to vacate the promises and keep a copy for yourself but you have to give her 30days from the date of the letter then you can go to court and have her evicted,but she has been there quite a while,so try that and good luck,make it plain that she has paid nothing for her stay and either she pay up or vacate the promises..I wish you luck  Do everything in writing and you keep copies for your records....hope this helps in some small way
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
In Washington state ONLY, if you own the property, you can evict her via due process; if you rent, you must ask your landlord/manager to evict her if she's on the lease (If not, you can call a sheriff--a sheriff ONLY--and ask for her removal). You need not give a reason why you're evicting her unless you live in King County. You must serve her with two 20-day notices: One in person (no process server needed) and one via certified mail. If she is not present to receive it, you must knock on the door of her room, wait for an answer and once satisfied there is none, you post it on the door at eye level, face-out. This notice must be served between the 1st and the 9th (30-day month) or 10th (31-day month); February would be the 7th. I'd have both documents served by the 5th. The 20 days includes weekends and any holidays, legal or not. If she does not respond, you can still use the certified mail receipt in a court of law as proof of delivery, this is crucial. If she stays beyond the end of the month, she is guilty of unlawful detainer and you can proceed to court for a sheriff's eviction. If this occurs, you will have to pay for a sheriff's deputy's services and place her belongings near the curb of your yard, but not off the property. You are not obligated to provide secure storage for her belongings or to monitor them, but you cannot retain any of the belongings for personal or business reasons (e.g. 'revenge' or in lieu of rent/damages).

As far as locking her out: You can only do this after the 20-day notice expires and she is in unlawful detainer of the premises. If she does indeed break in then, you can summon authorities and file charges once the situation is explained and proof given (the notice and your certified mail receipt). The officer then can choose to arrest the person for trespassing and/or breaking and entering. Good luck.
brinda ailles Profile
brinda ailles answered
You will need to go to the court house and serve her papers that's what the cops keep telling us here in AL but we got her out by telling her that she is not welcome here anymore and that if she didn't leave my kids will be taken from so her boyfriend didn't throw a fit like she did they called the cops out here two days ago and the cops told them its better if they will leave on their own so that they wont lose anything if we toke them to court because the judge could make them leave with paying us and be out on the same day of court
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Make sure you absolutely cover yourself--get and put EVERYTHING in writing!!Give them the required notice--3 day 5 day or 30 day-whichever your state requires(and they all do).Cover yourself in filed paperwork otherwise when you go to court it could be considered an illegal eviction-and depending on your state laws the tenet could collect TWICE the security deposit OR TWICE the rent if no security deposit is there...cover yourself--legally!!You don't need penalties awarded by the court to your tenant because you didn't do the legal thing.Most courts wont charge to file if you have limited income.Good Luck and stay dry!!
nerreece love Profile
nerreece love answered
I have been down that road. You will need to take that person to court if he or she is not on the lease. If the person is on the lease then the landlord can EVICT. If not you would have to take the person to court. And that can take months. What I had to do was move out of my own place just to get her out, I don't suggest that. GOOD LUCK.
Karl Sagan Profile
Karl Sagan answered

Well, I don't know, I don't really understand such things. I've been thinking for a long time about just trying something new in sex. I think it's important and that's why I decided to diversify it a little. Therefore, I look at and realized that this is what I would definitely like to try in my life while I'm not married yet.

Answer Question