How Do I Get Federal Felony Conviction Expunged It Was My First Offense?


5 Answers

Connor Sephton Profile
Connor Sephton answered
If you have been convicted of a felony by a federal court of law it is possible to have the record expunged, but it is a very complicated and long process and hinges on whether the President of the United States wants to grant you a pardon.

To be eligible to be considered for a pardon, there are a number of things that must happen first. You must wait at least five years after you have been released from prison or if there was no prison time involved, you must wait at least five years from the time of conviction to apply for a pardon.

Because obtaining a federal pardon is such a long and detailed process, anyone looking to get a federal pardon should start a pardon workbook where they will keep all of the information pertaining to it. You will need to compile a complete list of all of your criminal offenses that happened before and after your federal conviction and if you have a military record, you will need to include all records pertaining to it.

You will also have to write a paper in detail of just why it is you deserve a federal pardon from the President. You need to clear and concise and have good clear reasons for seeking a pardon. If you do not write well, have a friend look it over and make any corrections it may need. You should not attempt to re-argue your case or contend that you were wrongly convicted and if you want to have the very best chance of gaining a federal pardon, you should consult with a lawyer who has experience in this area to help you draw up your application and other papers that you will need to gain a pardon.

You can gain a federal pardon and have your expunged, but expect a long process.
Thomas Esposito Profile
Thomas Esposito answered
I have a felony and several DUI's dating back with the most recent being 2004. I've called lawyers looking to get the felony expunged, and have been told that it couldn't be done. I also have not received decent seeming jobs because of my criminal record. It's best to be honest, and pointless not to, because they will see your criminal record if they want to. I'm currently looking into US Passports, and any laws concerning which countries, if any, I will be able to visit with a felony on my record. I'm planning on starting college in January of 2010, and study abroad will be a couple years ahead. I'll be seven years by then, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I have a lot of questions about which rights I forfeited by becoming a felon myself.
One thing I do know is that Christ forgives us, no matter how hard we have made things on ourselves. I know for me, I have desires now that were completely nonexistent five years ago. A completely different playing field. Place your faith in Him, and He will put you where He wants you.
God Bless,
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Being an ex felon, I think that the bearing of arms is a privilege that you have lost for the remainder of your life. There are felonies that aren't as serious as involuntary manslaughter, but it is possible to get it expunged. Totally up to the judge. Your prob going to need a good lawyer, and that wont be cheap. However its not impossible. Good luck
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Go to the local county records department.  Ask for an "Expungement Package".  The details are in the package to proceed.  Usually, a current set of fingerprints are required, and the county sheriffs office can complete these probably at a cost.  I do not believe they are free, Pay a filing fee when you return your completed package to the DA's office (paying fee at recorders office?  It's pretty self explanatory once you get hold of the expungement package.  Bear in mind that there are what amount to seasoning requirements.  In other words, the felony may need to be five, seven years old, whatever your county requires...Good Luck  The Court House is your friend

Bruce Tillson Profile
Bruce Tillson answered
I do not believe that this type of felony can be expunged. Look at the facts. Involuntary manslaughter. Unfortunately you were convicted in some way of causing the death of another human being. You will NEVER be allowed the privilege of being able to bear arms again. We have laws and a Constitution. You have your freedom. Be thankful for that.

Answer Question