What Are My Rights As A Tenant Regarding Disturbances From Neighbors?


4 Answers

Naomi Beebe Profile
Naomi Beebe answered
This answer is from the person who asked the question initially: Thank you for the answer; however, like I said to the first responder, he was a cop and a detective and can talk them out of anything. Also, he never does anything after the 10 PM legal noise time. This doesn't sound bad but imagine a dog that weighs well over 100 lbs. Running back and forth over your head. It would be akin to having a drummer playing over your head randomly at different times. He's startled me awake from naps when I'm exhausted after work or workouts. He has flooded my apartment to the point that I have to move furniture out of the way because the sill is leaking from the inside to the point that it splashes onto my furniture. I am actually looking for another place to live but the next tenant will go through hell after me if he decides he wants to make them his next target. I knew the previous target of his rudeness and it drove him to move also. I guess they are right about the "blue code". If you were or are a cop, you can get away with murder when it comes to breaking the law or being a public nuisance. It makes me feel sorry for the good cops out there that I know.
thanked the writer.
Pablo Cordon
Pablo Cordon commented
I see now. I'm sorry I didn't catch that impression from your initial question. Have you mentioned to the owner of the building that you might be leaving because of these disturbances?

The floods are something you have the right to have fixed. I'm sure you're not paying for an aquarium, but a place to live.

How long has this person been living above you? How long do you think he'll be there for? Maybe you could get the owner to consider taking the benefit of renewing the contract from this person.

Even though it might be a long shot, another option could be to contact the police department this person belonged to, and asking for advice there. Maybe they'll do something about it, or maybe they'll give you valuable information you could pass on to your landlord (bad stories and references) in order to increase the chances of considering an eviction on this person, or maybe they'll just give you more options.

It is very weird a former cop would act in such a way. I'd think anyone who's been through the eyes of a cop would know better than that.
Pablo Cordon Profile
Pablo Cordon answered
The floods represent a critical disturbance, while the pet issue might be considered minor.

You should first talk to your neighbor about it, in a calm, diplomatic and educated way. If you would like examples of ways to approach your neighbor, feel free to contact me. I've been there many times.
If you are not comfortable with that, maybe contacting your landlord is your best bet.

As for your rights as a tenant, it really varies depending on your location and the contract you signed for your apartment.
Even if this is not written anywhere, you still have the right to complain about it, but it'll most likely be up to your neighbor and landlord whether something will be done about it.
thanked the writer.
Naomi Beebe
Naomi Beebe commented
Here's an addition to my question: I have already documented the problem. The noise is actually the one that drives me the most crazy. It's VERY loud. I have already approached him diplomatically. He's a complete asshole and acts as if he will do something about it but continues with his bad habits. In fact, he usually gets worse and has driven out another tenant. He used to be a cop and a detective so he knows the laws and how far he can push them. The Owner of the building has gotten one well-written letter from me. I've started another to keep things documented and he seems to lack a spine. He is a very nice man, to the point where he is a push-over; thus, nothing has been done about this. The man is so obnoxious, he has spread rumors about people sleeping with him, being felons, etc. It's very bad. He was fired as Manager because he caused so many problems. On one occasion, a former tenant moved because he (the tenant) witnessed an assault on an old woman. He called the police. There were two other witnesses. The rude man of which I speak actually visited him (the tenant) at his apartment and chewed him out for causing such a hassle. That was the straw that broke the camels back as far as that former tenant was concerned. He was already fed up with too much loud music coming from his apartment. No one seems to care. People just leave. I have the most incredible view of the sound and the mountain range and pay the lowest rent in history because this has been my home for approximately 1/4 of my life. I would hate to give up my view, but I also don't want to lose my mind or flunk online college classes because I can't concentrate. This is much, much worse than you think. The man is not civil. He is also two faced. He will politely act as if he will comply with the rules to the Owner's face and then accelerates his irritating and sometimes damaging behavior.
charles mason
charles mason commented
i did not realize how long you have lived there, it complicates things i see, him i understanding the tenant is a former officer?that also complicates things to a degree.how many tenants in your building?Is a petition an option?you are a student, depending on your income,talk to legal aid, after initial interview it is based on income.first visit is free.Most all countries have a legal aid if you are in US. at least they can direct you.That sounds like home so it is difficult to just up and leave.continue documenting dont stop that, precise times and dates of all disturbances even if they are not reported.Hec maybe recording the loud noises as well.there is just a thing as suing for mental anguish( bad spelling).A lawyer at legal aid can tell you if this can be taken to small claims court.Its important though to keep documenting,if this goes to a legal route the more documentation the better.I personally have no other suggestions. I feel for you.
charles mason Profile
charles mason answered
Well you have every right to a quite polite inviorment.If talking to the neighbors, well no don't talk to the neighbors cause if you go to second or third method the disturbing neighbors will know then who alerted and it could cause hasel.talk toland lord first and document it on pad time date. If it does not come to a halt after first or second documenting time, call the police and document time and date.eventualy they will be evicted more then likely.
Lady D Bell Profile
Lady D Bell answered
I say notify your landlord about the disturbances of your neighbors. If landlord seens like he don't care, contact a lawyer and see what you can do about moving out.

Answer Question