Can A Convicted Felon Become A Ultrasound Technician?


4 Answers

Cormac Reynolds Profile
Cormac Reynolds answered
It depends on what you were convicted of, and how long ago. The best thing that you can do is to check with ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists).  They will be able to give you all the information that you need. Their web address is, or you can call them on (651) 687-0048.

There are criteria that must be met to be eligible for ARRT certification and all candidates must meet the basic requirements in three components. They are ethics, education and examination.

To fulfill the ethics criterion, each candidate for certification and each applicant for renewal of registration must ‘be a person of good moral character and must not have engaged in conduct that is inconsistent with the ARRT Rules of Ethics’. They must also agree to comply with all of the ARRT rules and regulations, and ARRT investigates all violations to make sure that someone is eligible.

Issues that are addressed by the Rules of Ethics include criminal procedures, convictions and military court martials. Any juvenile convictions that were processed in a juvenile court, and any minor traffic citations that did not involve drugs or alcohol, do not have to be reported.

Candidates for certification must also reveal any honor code violations that may have occurred while they were attending school.

To be eligible for certification, candidates must also successfully complete the respective discipline’s formal education program and demonstrate competency in didactic coursework and a specified list of clinical procedures.

Having met all other criteria, candidates must then pass an examination developed and administered by ARRT so that their knowledge and necessary cognitive skills can be assessed. Exam content can be found on the website.

ARRT also recognizes people who continue to demonstrate their qualifications and who comply with continuing education with the purpose of self-development and the improvement of their discipline.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Nope!! I'm from Texas and I just finished all my pre-reqs at a local Community College, then I applied to the Sonography Program. I have a 3.9 GPA and I got accepted to the program, only to be released because I have a deferred felony from 2005. I've been off probation for 2.5 years and have changed my life TREMENDOUSLY! My felony was for possession of a controlled substance. It's sad that society won't give deferred and convicted felons a second chance at life.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
The law does not prevent you from your career choice it's usually up to the hiring
source that will decide.  Most will not hire someone with a felony on their record.  
It sad but true because most everyone should get a second chance
Amy Zack Profile
Amy Zack answered
No, I am sorry but this isn't possible.  You can't even get into school.  It is really sad.  Maybe someday this will change.

Answer Question